The plan defines the Task Force’s ambition of a 21st century rail network underpinned by three priorities:
- Resilience and reliability
- Faster journey times
- Improved connectivity with sufficient capacity
After carrying out extensive research and study with the rail industry, ‘Closing the Gap’ sets out a long term cascade of improvements needed to close the growing gap between the South West and the rest of the UK in terms of rail funding and improvements. Investment is expected to deliver over £8.4 billion in economic benefits over the next 20 years.
Read ‘Closing the Gap’ – The South West Peninsula strategic rail blueprint here.
The task force has also produced an appendix to the report that list in more details outputs from the studies and has additional information to support the recommendations made within ‘Closing the gap’. The following work stream studies are also available:
- PRTF: Northern Route Workstream Assessment of Scheme Costs and Benefits
- Dawlish Additional Line – Assessment
- Heart of the South West Study Economic – Appraisal of rail network upgrade proposals
- Business survey results
The improvements identified in ‘Closing the Gap’ have also been set out within a timeline which is available here.